- 2 6- or 7-inch whole wheat flour tortillas*
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice
- 2 medium apples or pears, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins, dark raisins, or dried currants
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. In a small bowl, stir together granulated sugar and apple pie spice; sprinkled onto tortillas. Cut each tortilla into 6 wedges; place wedges on a baking sheet or in muffin cups. Bake wedges for 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Cool on a wire rack.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet combine apples, water, brown sugar, raisins and orange peel; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 5 minutes or until apples are just tender. Uncover and simmer for 5 minutes more or until desired consistency.
3. Serve warm apple mixture with tortilla wedges. Makes 4 (3 chips and 1/2 cup apple mixture) servings.
Test Kitchen Tip
For a light and crisp tortilla chip, be sure to use regular whole wheat flour tortillas rather than the low-carb variety.