- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup applesauce, sweetened
- 1 ½ cups non-fat or 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 apple, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil or spray an 8 inch by 8 inch baking pan.
2. Combine the egg, applesauce, milk, vanilla, and oil in a bowl. Add the apple. In a separate bowl, mix the rolled oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add to the liquid ingredients and mix well. Pour mixture into baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and sprinkle with brown sugar and nuts. Return to oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes until top is browned and the sugar bubbles. (Keep an eye on it during this step to keep it from burning).
4. Cut into 9, 2.5 inch by 2.5 inch squares. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Add a glass of low-fat milk to make a meal that is consistent with the DASH diet guidelines. Get creative with this recipe by substituting other types of fruit for the apple.