- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Prepare syrup: In a saucepan, combine 3 cups blueberries, 1 cup water, 1⁄2 cup sugar, and cornstarch. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring. When mixture boils, reduce heat and cook for 4 minutes or until berries start to burst. Remove from heat. Stir in 11⁄2 cups berries. If too thick, add a little water.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat egg with yogurt and oil. Add flour, baking powder, 1 Tbsp sugar, baking soda, and salt. Mix well. If batter is too thick, thin with water.
3. Pour batter onto a hot, lightly greased electric griddle, making each pancake about 4 inches in diameter. Cook until small bubbles form on surface. Sprinkle berries onto each pancake. Flip and cook on other side until done. Drizzle with syrup.
- Serve pancakes with turkey sausage or lean breakfast ham. Both batter and syrup can be made 2 days ahead.