- 3 lb. meaty chicken pieces (such as breasts, thighs and legs), skinned
- Kosher salt or salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 1- 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 14-oz. Can stewed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Season chicken with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. In a 12-inch oven-proof skillet with lid cook chicken in hot oil for 10 minutes or until light brown,turning to brown evenly. Drain and reserve 1 tablespoon of the drippings. Remove chicken and set aside.
2. In the same skillet cook the mushrooms, onions, and garlic in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in wine and tomato paste. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in stewed tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaf. Arrange chicken pieces on the tomato mixture. Season chicken with additional kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring mixture to boiling over medium heat.
3. Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F for breasts; 180 degrees F for legs and drumsticks).
4. To serve, arrange chicken on a platter; spoon sauce over. Sprinkle with parsley and drizzle with lemon juice. Makes 6 servings.