- 1 1/2 cup low fat 1% or fat free milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cubed whole wheat bread, about 4 slices
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced apple
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine milk, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Whisk until well combined.
3. Add the bread cubes, diced apple and raisins, and mix until all ingredients are combined and the bread has soaked up much of the liquid.
4. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with non-stick spray or butter.
5. Transfer the bread mixture into the baking pan. Cover with foil and bake, or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
6. Place the bread pudding into the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until golden brown, about 20 more minutes.
7. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Make this dish up to 1 day ahead and refrigerate until ready to bake. This bread pudding tastes great with other fruit too. See what’s in season at the farmers market. Instead of apples, try using pears, plums, peaches or berries.