- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions (2 large)
- 1 cup chopped celery (2-3 stalks)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 2 cups bulgur, rinsed
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- ¼ up orange juice
- 2/3 cup chopped hazelnuts (about 2 oz) roasted
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and celery, cook stirring often for 5-8 minutes until softened.
Add garlic, cinnamon and allspice, cook stirring for one minute.
Add bulgur and stir for a few seconds, add broth, bay leaf and salt, bring to a simmer.
Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes until bulgur is tender and liquid has been absorbed.
Meanwhile, combine dried cranberries and orange juice in a small microwave safe container, cover with vented plastic wrap and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Let cranberries rest, covered, for another minute or two to plump up with orange juice.
When bulgur is ready, discard bay leaf, add the cranberries with orange juice, toasted hazelnuts, parsley and pepper and fluff with a fork.