- 6 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 large egg whites at room temperature
1. Heat oil in a heavy 3-quart saucepan over medium until 360°F.
2. Meanwhile, mix cheese, flour, pepper, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, beat whites with an electric mixer until they form stiff peaks. Fold in ½ cup cheese mixture; add in remaining mixture gently but thoroughly.
3. Drop batter into oil 1 tsp at a time; fry 8 per batch until crisp on both sides, about 2 minutes. Remove to paper towels. Repeat 3 times and serve.