- 1 cup uncooked wild rice (will yield 2-2 ½ cups cooked rice)
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 chicken breast
- 4 large red tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Cook the wild rice according to package directions, using 1 cup of the low-sodium vegetable broth and 1 cup water (or more as package indicates) to cook rice.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grill the chicken breast and slice into 1/2” thick pieces.
3. Cut the top off each tomato and scoop out the insides, leaving a ½ inch thick shell.
4. When the rice is cooked, mix in the chicken, basil, garlic and most of the parmesan cheese, reserving some for the top of each tomato. Stuff the tomatoes with the wild rice filling and sprinkle the top with the remaining parmesan.
5. Brush the outside of the tomatoes with the olive oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Cooking rice in low-sodium broth lends great flavor to any kind of rice dish. Serve these stuffed tomatoes warm with toasted whole wheat artisan bread, or they can be prepared without the chicken making a great side dish for grilled meat.