- 4 cups coarsely shredded cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup diced (1/4-inch) red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced (1/4-inch) green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped, pitted ripe olives
- 2 scallions (3 inches of green left on), thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 or 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely minced green jalapeño pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, optional
- Red-leaf lettuce, for garnish
- Small bunches of seedless red grapes, for garnish
1. Combine the turkey, bell peppers, olives, scallions and 2 tablespoons of cilantro in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, 1 tablespoon lime juice, jalapeño pepper, orange zest, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add to the turkey mixture and toss well.
3. If you opt to use an avocado: Place 1 tablespoon lime juice in a small bowl. Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit and peel, then cut the avocado into 1/4-inch dice. Toss with the lime juice to prevent discoloration.
4. To serve, place the turkey salad atop a bed of lettuce leaves. Scatter the avocado over the top and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of chopped cilantro. Garnish with small bunches of red grapes.