- 8 large eggs
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 baby white onion, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 to 1 tsp chili powder, to taste
- Tabasco, to taste
- Chopped cilantro
1. Put the eggs in a large pot of salted cold water and bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes, turn off the heat, and let the eggs come to room temperature. Peel the cooled eggs, cut them into chunks, and toss them into a bowl. Add the celery, red pepper, jalapeño, and onion; season with salt and pepper.
2. Whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, and chili powder. Add Tabasco and salt and pepper. Taste and add more chili powder or Tabasco, if you’d like more heat. Gently mix the mayo into the egg salad. If you have time, chill before serving.
3. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve over greens and tomatoes, or make sandwiches, using buttermilk biscuits.