- For the Shrimp:
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, whisked (or 1/2 cup buttermilk to coat shrimp)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 lb frozen raw shrimp, defrosted, tails cut off
- For the Sweet & Sour Sauce:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp ginger, minced
1. Preheat oven to “broil” setting.
2. Pat dry shrimp with a towel and season with 1/2 tsp salt.
3. Arrange three separate bowls in an assembly line. Place flour in one, whisked eggs in the second, and shredded coconut in the third.
4. Lightly coat the shrimp in the flour and gently tap to remove excess flour.
5. Dip the flour coated shrimp in the egg/buttermilk and then roll in the shredded coconut to coat.
6. Place coconut shrimp on a baking rack sprayed or greased with oil over a cookie sheet. When all the shrimp are on the rack, lightly coat them with cooking oil spray.
7. Place cookie sheet on the middle rack of your oven and broil for 3 minutes on each side.
8. To make dipping sauce: Place all ingredients in a bowl and combine. Serve with shrimp.