- 4 (6-inch) loaves Portuguese stick bread or Italian or French loaves
- Balsamic-Herb Vinaigrette
- 8 oz sliced provolone cheese
- 8 oz sliced mortadella
- 8 oz sliced spicy ham, such as capicola
- 8 oz sliced salami
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices
- 12 thin onion slices
- 12 jarred hot or sweet cherry peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 cups torn green-leaf lettuce
1. Cut loaves of bread in half lengthwise; arrange in a single layer, cut sides up. Liberally brush bread with vinaigrette. On bottom half of each loaf, evenly layer 1/4 of the provolone, followed by 1/4 of the mortadella, 1/4 of the spicy ham, and 1/4 of the salami. Top each with 2 tomato slices and 3 onion slices. Divide cherry peppers among sandwiches. Stir vinaigrette and generously drizzle over onion and tomato.
2. In a small bowl, toss torn lettuce with some of remaining vinaigrette. Divide lettuce among sandwiches, top with other halves of bread, and serve.