- For the topping
- 1/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons trans-free margarine, melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces fat-free sour cream
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons trans-free margarine
- 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped dried fruits, such as raisins, pineapple, apples and apricots
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly coat a 10-inch round pan with cooking spray.
To prepare the topping, combine flour, brown sugar and chopped pecans in a small bowl. Pour in melted margarine. Mix well — it should look crumbly. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk to blend.
In a separate bowl, mix together vanilla, sour cream, egg whites and margarine. Using an electric mixer at low to medium speed, beat until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add flour mixture to sour cream mixture. Using a spoon, gently blend together until smooth.
Put half of the batter into the pan. Top with chopped cranberries and dried fruit. Spread the remaining batter over the cranberries and dried fruit. Sprinkle with topping. Bake until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
Cut the coffeecake into 10 wedges and serve warm.