- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 4 ounces smoked turkey sausage
- 1-1/2 cups chopped red, yellow, and/or green sweet pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 14-1/2-ounce can low-salt diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 10-ounce can chopped tomatoes and green chile peppers, undrained
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces frozen peeled and deveined medium shrimp, thawed
- 2 cups loose-pack frozen cut okra
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
1. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Halve sausage lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine chicken, sausage, sweet pepper, celery, and onion. Stir in undrained diced tomatoes, undrained chopped tomatoes and green chile peppers, tapioca, basil, and cayenne pepper.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
3. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in shrimp and okra. Cover and cook about 30 minutes more or until shrimp are opaque. Serve with hot cooked brown rice.
4. Makes 6 (1-1/2 cups chicken mixture plus 1/2 cup rice) servings.