- 2 whole-grain English muffins, split
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 egg whites, whisked
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 ounce (about 1/2 cup) reduced-fat Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup grape or cherry heirloom tomatoes, quartered
1. Preheat the broiler on high. Place muffins, cut side up, on a baking sheet and broil for 2 minutes or until beginning to lightly brown on edges. (Or you can do this in your toaster oven)
2. Heat a medium skillet on medium heat. Add oil and sauté 3 of the scallions about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the egg whites, season with salt and pepper and cook, mixing with a wooden spoon until cooked through.
3. Divide on toasted muffins and top with tomatoes, cheese and remaining scallions.
4. Broil for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until cheese has melted, careful not to burn.
This compact breakfast item offers high-quality protein, fiber, B vitamins, vitamin C, and potassium. If you don’t have whole-wheat English muffins, try other whole-grain breads or corn tortillas for a new twist.