- Mixed-Berry Sauce:
- 1 (16-oz) bag frozen mixed berries, thawed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp seedless raspberry preserves
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 8 slices whole-wheat or white bread, crust removed
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup 2% milk
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 4 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Nonstick spray
1. The night before: Put bread on a baking rack; let stale overnight.
2. The morning of: Combine fruit and sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir occasionally until berries soften, 10 minutes.
3. Transfer berry mixture to a blender or food processor. Add raspberry preserves and lemon juice; blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl; cool to room temperature.
4. Crack eggs into a medium baking dish and whisk lightly. Add milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt; whisk.
5. Spread 1 Tbsp of peanut butter on 4 slices of bread. Top with remaining slices to make four sandwiches. Flatten slightly. Soak sandwiches in egg mixture, 4–5 minutes per side.
6. Heat a square 4-slot waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. Spray top and bottom grates with nonstick spray. Remove sandwiches from egg mixture using a slotted spatula, allowing excess liquid to drip off. Make two at a time on the diagonal of grates. Press down gently at first, then add a little pressure to cover and press until it is completely closed. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Carefully remove each waffle to a plate. Drizzle with mixed-berry syrup.