- 3 cups water
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup quick cooking brown rice
- ¾ cup bulgur
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 Red Delicious apple
- 1 orange
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 container (8 oz) lowfat vanilla yogurt
1. In a large pot, heat water and salt to boiling over high heat.
2. Add rice and bulgur, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and set aside, covered 2 minutes.
4. Spread hot grains on baking sheet to cool (this will make them fluffier). Grains can be prepared the night before and kept in the refrigerator.
5. Just before serving, prepare fruit: core and chop apples. Peel orange and cut into sections.
6. Transfer the chilled grains and cut fruit to a medium mixing bowl. Stir the yogurt into the grains and fruit until coated.
Three different fruit, cooked whole grains and lowfat yogurt make this salad is a perfect DASH breakfast. The yogurt’s protein and fiber from the whole grains and fruit will keep you feeling satisfied all morning.