- 2 small green and/or red sweet peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin 1-inch-long strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or canola oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup fat free cream cheese (tub style)
- 5 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- ¼ cup salsa, if desired
1. In a large nonstick skillet cook sweet peppers and onion in 1 teaspoon of the oil for 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in cumin and chili powder. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in cilantro. Set vegetables aside.
2. Spread cream cheese over half of 1 side of each tortilla. Top with pepper mixture. Fold tortilla in half over peppers, pressing gently.
3. Place tortillas on an ungreased large baking sheet. Brush tortillas with the remaining oil. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 5 minutes.
4. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve warm. If desired, top with salsa.
Use whole-grain tortillas for added fiber, and fill your quesadilla with as many veggies as you like! Squash, zucchini, fresh corn, spinach, and kale are just a few additions to get closer to your daily 2 ½ cups of DASH vegetable servings.