- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ sticks chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 1/3 cups pecan halves, toasted, chopped (5 oz)
- ½ cup plus 3 Tbsp chopped crystallized ginger (4 oz)
- 1 cup plus 1½ Tbsp buttermilk
- 1½ tsp peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Whisk flour, 2/3 cup sugar, baking powder, ground ginger, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add butter; blend to coarse meal. Stir in pecans and ½ cup crystallized ginger.
3. Whisk 1 cup buttermilk, fresh ginger, and vanilla. Combine wet and dry mixtures; stir to blend.
4. Knead dough 8–10 turns. Form into two 6½-inch discs; cut each into 6 scones. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with buttermilk. Sprinkle with rest of sugar and crystallized ginger. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.