- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- Sugar, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 thin slices Cheddar or Swiss cheese
1. Sprinkle the cut sides of tomatoes with sugar and pepper. Broil on a baking sheet, cut-side up, for 8 minutes.
2. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Lay cheese on the unbuttered side of 2 slices; top each with 2 tomato halves, mashing slightly. Cover with remaining bread, buttered-side out.
3. Brown the sandwiches in a skillet over medium heat. Halve diagonally and serve.