- 1 1-1/2-pound beef flank steak
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 10-inch flour tortillas
- Shredded lettuce
- 1 recipe each Sweet Pepper Salsa, Artichoke-Bean Spread, and Quick Steak Sauce (see recipes below)
1. Trim fat from steak. Score steak on both sides by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals in a diamond pattern. Place meat in a self-sealing bag set in a shallow dish; set aside. In a small bowl stir together the vinegar, garlic, mustard, cilantro, and red pepper until well combined. Pour over meat in bag. Seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Drain meat, discarding marinade.
2. Place meat on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 17 to 21 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 145 degree F for medium-rare doneness or 160 degree F for medium doneness. (Or, preheat gas grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place meat on rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Thinly slice meat against the grain to serve. Wrap and chill half of the steak up to 3 days.
3. Serve remaining steak in flour tortillas with the lettuce, Sweet Pepper Salsa, Artichoke-BeanSpread, and Quick Steak Sauce. Makes 4 servings.
In a medium bowl, toss together 2 medium green and/or yellow sweet peppers, finely chopped; 1 fresh serrano pepper, seeded and chopped; 1/2 cup finely chopped, peeled jicama; 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion; 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro; 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and chill. Makes about 2-1/2 cups (reserve 1 cup for the salad). Each serving: 12 cal., 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 59 mg sodium, 3 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 0 g pro. Daily Values: 4% vit A, 34% vit. C, 0% calcium, 1% iron.
Drain one 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts reserving marinade. Coarsely chop artichokes and set aside. In a food processor combine the marinade from artichoke hearts; one 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained; 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion; and 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel; cover and process until smooth. Stir in artichokes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill up to 3 days. Makes about 2 cups. If you don’t have a food processor, mash garbanzo beans with a potato masher, gradually adding the artichoke marinade. Stir in sliced green onion, lemon peel, and artichokes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Each serving: 66 cal., 2 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 305 mg sodium, 10 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 3 g pro. Daily Values: 0% vit A, 10% vit. C, 2% calcium, 4% iron.
Quick Steak Sauce
In a blender combine 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup raisins, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 1 tablespoon molasses, 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and blend until nearly smooth. Cover and store in refrigerator up to 1 week. Makes about 3/4 cup. Each serving: 98 cal., 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 321 mg sodium, 22 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 2 g pro. Daily Values: 0% vit A, 6% vit. C, 3% calcium, 6% iron.