- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (weight after peeling)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 7 wooden skewers
1. In a food processor pulse basil, garlic, parmesean cheese, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly add the oil while pulsing. Combine raw shrimp with pesto in a bowl. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours.
2. Soak the wooden skewers in water at least 20 minutes (or use metal ones to avoid this step). Thread the shrimp onto the skewers
3. Heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium-low heat. Be sure the grates are clean and spray lightly with olive oil.
4. Place the shrimp on the grill and cook until they turn pink on the bottom, about 3-4 minutes; turn and continue cooking until shrimp is opaque and cooked through, about 3-4 more minutes.
The DASH diet recommends consuming six ounces or less of lean meat, fish, or poultry a day. Shrimp is a great lean heart healthy option because it is low in saturated fat. To balance out the meal add a glass of low-fat milk or a yogurt parfait for dessert.