- 1 pound reduced-fat firm tofu, drained
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 12 ounces yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 large orange and/or red sweet peppers, quartered and seeded
- 1/2 cup quinoa*
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup shredded sorrel or spinach
- Sorrel leaves (optional)
1. Cut tofu lengthwise into 8 slices, about 1/2 inch thick. Place tofu in shallow baking dish; pour 1/4 cup of the dressing over tofu. Place vegetables in a large self-sealing plastic bag set in a deep bowl. Pour 3 tablespoons of the remaining dressing over vegetables. Close bag, turning to coat. Chill tofu and vegetables 4 to 24 hours, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining dressing.
2. Remove tofu from dressing, discarding dressing. Drain vegetables, reserving dressing. Grill vegetables on rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender, turning occasionally. Grill tofu on grill rack directly over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, or until lightly browned. Remove tofu from grill. Cut into triangles. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine squash and peppers. Add reserved dressing. Toss to coat. Set vegetables aside.
4. Meanwhile, in a 2-quart pan bring 2 cups water to boiling. Place quinoa in a fine sieve and rinse under running water. Add quinoa and barley to pan. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until water is nearly absorbed and grains are tender. Drain.
5. In a large bowl gently toss grains with shredded sorrel and remaining chilled dressing. Serve quinoa with vegetables and tofu. Add sorrel leaves, if desired. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
6. *Look for quinoa (keen-wah) near the grains on your supermarket shelf or health food stores.