- 1/3 cup toasted sesame seeds or ¼ cup tahini
- 1/8 tsp crushed red chilies
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained, or 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- 1/8 cup lime, lemon or orange juice
- ½ tsp garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. To toast sesame seeds preheat oven at 350 degrees, sprinkle sesame seeds on a baking sheet and toast for 8 to 12 minutes until golden brown, stirring frequently.
2. In a food processor, puree sesame seeds or tahini and chilies, then add the beans and puree. Add citrus juice, garlic and salt, puree until smooth. Finally, add oil and process until well blended. Spoon hummus into a serving bowl, cover and let stand for 1 hour to blend flavors.
Make a batch on Sunday to keep on hand in the refrigerator through the week. Hummus is chock full of garbanzo beans and Mediterranean flavors. Smear some hummus on wide strips of fresh bell peppers and wedges of whole wheat pita for a DASH snack in a flash.