- 1/2 cup orzo or tiny pasta
- 1/2 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (15-ounce) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 small dry red peppers, whole
- 3 cups water
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Place everything but cilantro into a large skillet. Bring to boil on medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet).
2. Cover and reduce heat to low (250 degrees in an electric skillet). Simmer 35 minutes until pasta is tender.
3. Remove chili peppers, sprinkle with cilantro. Top with fat-free or low-fat sour cream and serve. Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
Lentils are a delicious way to add fiber and vegetable protein to your diet without adding fat. Serve topped with light sour cream or plain non-fat yogurt for a calcium boost. Finish this meal with fresh fruit such as cut pineapple or mango.