- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, fresh or half as much ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, chopped (cauliflower, peppers, carrots, or peas)
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 can kidney beans, drained (15.5 ounces)
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion, ginger, turmeric, and cumin, and stir while cooking for 1 minute.
3. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat.
4. Simmer 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.
5. Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
Try using brown rice instead of white for even more fiber and finish this meal off with a glass of low-fat milk for extra protein to keep you full and satisfied.