- 1 pound fresh or frozen lake trout or walleye fillets, 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup small cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup finely chopped, peeled jicama
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped*
- Dash salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
1. Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 4 serving-size pieces. In a small saucepan combine the corn and the water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Drain.
2. For corn salsa, in a medium serving bowl combine the cooked corn, tomatoes, jicama, cilantro or parsley, lime juice, jalapeno pepper, and salt. Toss to combine. Set aside.
3. Coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Stir together the Italian salad dressing and chili powder; brush over fish. Place fish in the prepared baking dish. Bake, uncovered, in a 450 degree F oven for 8 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve fish with corn salsa. Makes 4 servings.
Because chili peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible by wearing plastic gloves. If your bare hands touch the chili peppers, wash your hands well with soap and water.