- 1 pound ground beef (95% lean)
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon steak seasoning blend
- 4 seeded or whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 4 slices lowfat cheese, such as Cheddar or American
- Lettuce leaves, tomato slices (optional)
1. Place oats in food-safe plastic bag. Seal bag securely, squeezing out excess air. Roll over bag with rolling pin to crush oats to a fine consistency.
2. Combine ground beef, oats, and steak seasoning blend in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch patties.
3. Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 11 to 13 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 7 to 8 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally.
4. Line bottom of each bun with lettuce and tomato, if desired; top with burger and cheese slice. Close sandwiches.
Lean beef, like 95% lean ground beef, is a perfect fit for the DASH eating plan. These beefy burgers are a splurge without the extra saturated fat. For a perfect DASH back yard barbecue serve these burgers with fresh green salad and fresh berries for dessert.