- 2 pared, cored, and thinly sliced pears
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups coarsely chopped strawberries
- ½ teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ 9 inch angel food cake, cut to 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups vanilla or lemon flavored yogurt
- Garnish: pear slices and mint sprigs
1. Toss pears in lemon juice, and strawberries in almond extract (if using).
2. Combine orange juice and honey, mix well.
3. Layer a deep 2 to 2 ½ quart glass bowl in the following order: 1/3 of cake sprinkled with 1 tablespoon orange juice mixture, 1 cup yogurt, 1 cup pear slices, 1 cup strawberries; repeat.
4. Layer remaining cake, sprinkle with remaining orange juice mixture and spread 1 cup yogurt over top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 to 4 hours before serving.
5. Garnish with pear slices and mint just before serving.
Get creative with the fruit selections in this dish. Try adding blueberries, bananas, or mandarin oranges to change the flavor profile of this southern delight.