- 16 thin stalks fresh asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
- 6 medium plum (Roma) tomatoes, seeded and chopped (21/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter*
- 1 9-ounce package refrigerated linguini pasta, or substitute angel hair pasta
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh basil
1. Trim asparagus. Remove tips; set aside. Bias-slice asparagus stalks into 1-to 1 1/2-inch pieces; set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes and cook about 2 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add asparagus stalks, wine, and salt. Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Add asparagus tips; cook uncovered, for 1 minutes. Add butter; stir till melted.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta. Return to pan and toss with asparagus mixture and basil.
5. Note: The butter is used in this recipe to bind the sauce. Margarine might not be an effective substitute.