- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 pint lowfat vanilla or plain frozen yogurt
1. Combine the berries and sugar in a large bowl.
2. Using a fine grater, remove 1 teaspoon of zest from the fresh orange. Add the zest to the berries.
3. Slice the same orange in half and squeeze. Add 3 tablespoons of the orange juice to the berries. Toss to combine.
4. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
5. Place 1/2 cup of lowfat frozen yogurt into each of 4 dessert bowls. Top each scoop with macerated berries.
Macerating means to marinate fruit in a bit of sugar and liquid, such as citrus juice or sometimes alcohol. Macerating softens the fruit slightly and the sugar draws out the natural juices. What you have is an uncooked sauce or compote that makes a fabulous topping for light desserts. Try this recipe using other soft fruit like peaches, nectarines and cherries.