- 1 (12½ oz) loaf of favorite bread (such as challah), cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 3 cups whole milk
- 7 large eggs
- ½ cup light-brown sugar
- ¼ cup real maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
1. Generously butter a 13 x 9–inch casserole. Arrange bread slices in dish, staggering in rows.
2. In large bowl, beat together milk, eggs, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour over bread and press down, making sure slices absorb liquid. Cover with foil.
3. Refrigerate overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove foil and bake casserole 55 minutes to 1 hour, until puffy and golden. Serve with more maple syrup, if desired.