- 1 large purple eggplant (about 1 lb./ 500 g)
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh cilantro 125 mL
- 1 can chopped low-sodium tomatoes (about 14.5 oz./(412 mL) or 1 lb./500 g ripe red tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1. Trim ends off eggplant with vegetable peeler or paring knife. Then pare off alternating strips of skin so that eggplant appears striped. Cut eggplant into 1 inch cubes.
2. In medium saute pan, warm canola oil over medium-high heat. Add eggplant and saute 1 minute. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds. Reduce heat to low and cover pan; sweat eggplant 10 minutes until soft. Stir in cumin, paprika and cilantro and saute until mixture smells fragrant, about 10 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil.
3. Turn heat to medium-low and saute until mixture is thickened and some eggplant is smooth and some chunky, about 7 minutes. Turn off heat and let mixture sit 5 to 10 minutes before serving to settle the flavors.