- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- ½ pounds mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon milk or fat-free half and half
- ¼ cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Stir in shallots and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add chopped mushroom, parsley, thyme and black pepper.
3. In a medium bowl whisk eggs, egg whites, parmesan, and milk. Add the egg mixture to the skillet, making sure eggs cover all the mushrooms. When the edges begin to set (about 2 minutes) move the skillet to the oven. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until frittata is completely cooked.
4. Serve warm, cut into 4 equal wedges.
Serve with whole grain bread, fresh fruit, and a cold glass of milk for a well-balanced and nutrient-rich meal. Frittatas aren’t only for breakfast and brunch – they pair wonderfully with salads for lunch or dinner.