- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups puffed brown rice
- 3/4 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup raw wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup fat-free dry milk
- 3/4 cup dark honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries, chopped
Preheat the oven to 250 F. Have ready a large, heavy, nonstick baking sheet.
In a large bowl, combine the oats, puffed rice, wheat bran, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, walnuts and dry milk. Stir until well blended.
In a small saucepan, stir together the honey and oil over medium-low heat until well blended. Don’t let the mixture boil. Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts. Add the warm honey mixture to the dry ingredients and stir quickly until well combined.
Spread the mixture evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes to ensure even browning. Add the berries during the last 10 minutes of baking time and toss gently to mix. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the granola cool completely. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. Makes about 10 cups.