- 1 pound fresh or frozen orange roughy fillets
- 1 beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup finely crushed rich round crackers
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons ground pine nuts or almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1 recipe Tartar Sauce (optional) (see below)
1. Thaw fish, if frozen. Measure thickness of fillets. Cut fish fillets into 1-inch-wide strips. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels; set aside.
2. In a shallow dish combine egg and milk. In another shallow dish combine crushed crackers, Parmesan cheese, ground nuts, basil, and pepper. Dip fish pieces into egg mixture. Roll fish in crumb mixture. Place coated fish in a greased shallow baking pan.
3. Drizzle melted margarine or butter over fish. Bake, uncoverd, in a 500 degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until coating is golden and fish flakes easily with a fork.
4. For sauce, in a small bowl stir together 1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing, 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle or sweet pickle relish, 1 tablespoon sliced green onion, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon diced pimiento, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Serve with fish. Makes 4 servings
Prepare sauce; cover and chill up to 24 hours.