- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 leeks (whites only), thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips 1/2 inch wide and 2 inches long
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2/3 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, or to taste
- 2 cups fat-free, unsalted chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
In a large, nonstick frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, leeks, garlic and chicken strips. Saute until the vegetables are translucent and chicken is slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and red pepper slices and continue to saute another 5 minutes. Add rice, tarragon and broth and combine well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 10 minutes. Stir in peas and continue to simmer uncovered until broth is absorbed and the rice is tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
To serve, divide onto individual plates. Garnish each with 1 tablespoon parsley and 1 lemon wedge.