- 12 ounces whole-wheat rotini (spiral-shaped) pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) unsalted diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves
Cook pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly. Place pasta in a large serving bowl. Add the olive oil and toss. Set aside.
In a large skillet, heat the chicken broth over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions and tomatoes. Saute until the onions are transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining vegetables and saute until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Stir in the basil and oregano.
Add the vegetable mixture to the pasta. Toss to mix evenly. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour.
Place lettuce leaves on individual plates. Top with the pasta salad and serve immediately.