- 1/4 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp shallots, or red onion, minced
- 3 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, drained, and sliced
- 1/2 cup canned evaporated skim milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 lb fettuccine or other pasta
- 1 tbs. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 green onion, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1/4 inch slices
1. Cover mushrooms with hot water in a bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes. Drain, brush off any remaining sand, and cut mushrooms into ½ inch pieces.
2. Melt butter in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and tomatoes and continue to sauté 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in milk, salt, and white pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until volume is reduced by ¼.
4. Meanwhile, cook fettuccine in boiling water until al dente. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.
5. Pour sauce over pasta and toss. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and scallions.
Consider using whole wheat fettuccine or other whole grain pasta. Whole grain pastas provide more fiber, and vitamins than regular white pasta. Choosing whole grain pasta will help you meet your DASH goal of making half of your grains whole. To complete this meal consider adding a wilted spinach salad- top cold raw spinach with your favorite low fat vinaigrette dressing that has been warmed in the microwave. Finish the meal off with a scoop of peach sorbet.