- 1 medium fresh pear
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup finely chopped, toasted hazelnuts (~2 ounces)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Place the baking rack in the upper third of the oven and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare muffin pans with nonstick vegetable spray. Peel, core and dice pear into 1/4 inch pieces. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; stir in oat bran and hazelnuts. In a large bowl, beat sugar, applesauce, egg, yogurt and lemon juice until well mixed. Stir in dry ingredients just until flour disappears. Fold in pear.
Fill prepared muffin tins almost to the top. Bake in the upper third of a 400 degree oven for about 18 to 20 minutes or until the center springs back when lightly touched. Let cool for several minutes before removing from pans. Cool on racks.