- 2 slices multi-grain or rye sandwich bread
- 2 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- 2 slices (1 oz. each) reduced-sodium cooked or smoked turkey
- 1 USA pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper
1. Spread each slice of bread with 1 teaspoon mustard. Place one slice turkey on each slice of bread. Arrange pear slices on turkey and sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Sprinkle with pepper.
2. Broil, 4 to 6 inches from heat, 2 to 3 minutes or until turkey and pears are warm and cheese melts. Cut each sandwich in half and serve open face.
Some deli meats are loaded with salt, so shop carefully. When shopping for lean deli meats, look for products that are reduced sodium or low sodium. Be sure to balance a dish that contains higher amounts of sodium with accompaniments that are salt-free. Turn this sandwich into a DASH meal with a bunch of fresh grapes, cucumber slices, and fresh snap peas.