- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 bell peppers (green, red, or yellow)
- 10 oz ground turkey
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (or basil and oregano leaves)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 chopped zucchini (about 1 cup)
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with liquid
1. Cook the rice or prepare instant rice according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the turkey until no longer pink. Add seasonings during the last few minutes. Add onion, mushrooms, and zucchini to the skillet. Saute until tender. Mix in tomatoes and rice. Remove from heat.
3. Cut the peppers in half from top to bottom. Remove the stem and seeds. Place pepper halves in a baking dish and fill with the skillet mixture. Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes or until peppers are tender when poked with a fork.
4.Refrigerate leftovers within 2 to 3 hours.
Add a sprinkle of low-fat or non-fat mozzarella cheese for the last few minutes of baking to boost the calcium content of this dish. The extra flavor dimension may also help you feel more satisfied, preventing post-meal cravings.