- ¼ cup canola oil
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 6 c rolled oats (old fashioned)
- 1 cup almonds, slivered
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 2 cups bran flakes
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- Cooking spray or parchment paper
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Place oil, honey and vanilla in a small saucepan. Cook gently over low heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until combined.
3. Place remaining ingredients, except the raisins, in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Slowly stir in the oil-honey mixture, making sure that grains are evenly coated.
4. Lightly spray a baking tray with cooking spray or cover with parchment paper. Spread the cereal over the baking tray and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the grains are crisp and very lightly browned. Stir occasionally to prevent the mixture from burning.
5. Remove the cereal from the oven and allow it to cool. Add raisins and stir evenly through the grain mixture.
Serving size: about ½ cup
This granola is rich in fiber and heart healthy oils. Layer with low fat yogurt and fresh berries for a delicious, well-balanced breakfast parfait.