- 1 cup softened butter, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 (20-oz) can pineapple slices, drained, 1 cup juice reserved
- ½ jar maraschino cherries
- 1 (18.25-oz) box yellow cake mix (any brand)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup shredded coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Wrap a double layer of aluminum foil inside and over the lip of a 10-inch springform pan.
2. Place ½ cup of butter in pan. Heat in oven for 2 minutes; remove. Stir in brown sugar and ginger. Arrange pineapple slices evenly in the pan. Place a cherry, halved, in center of each.
3. Beat cake mix, 1/2 cup butter, eggs, and reserved pineapple juice on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in the coconut.
4. Spoon the batter into pan; place pan on baking sheet. Bake for 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes. Loosen springform; invert cake onto a serving platter. Serve warm, topped with whipped cream if desired.