- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine (sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio) or chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium yellow sweet peppers, chopped (1-1/2 cups)
- 3 Tbsp. drained capers
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 4 halibut steaks (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 lb.) or 4 cod or other whitefish fillets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. basil oil or olive oil
- Coarsely chopped fresh parsley
1. For poaching liquid in a large skillet combine combine wine, water, sweet pepper, capers, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Place fish in a single layer in the poaching liquid in the skillet. Season fish with salt and pepper. Spoon liquid over fish. Return to simmer. Cook, covered, 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness of fish until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove fish to serving platter and pour poaching liquid to a small serving pitcher. Drizzle cooked fish with the basil oil or olive oil and a little of the poaching liquid. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with remaining poaching liquid.