- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 large scallions, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup steamed spinach, chopped (frozen is fine)
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups water
1. Rinse the quinoa thoroughly then place the quinoa in a medium saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil then reduce it to a simmer. Cook until the quinoa is tender and has absorbed the liquid, about 20 minutes. Let it cool.
2. In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, eggs, parmesan, scallions, garlic, steamed spinach, and breadcrumbs. Let everything sit for a few minutes to absorb the liquid. The batter should be moist, but not runny. Form patties of ¼ cup each.
3. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. In 2 or 3 batches, cook the patties, covered, for 8-10 minutes on each side, or until browned and golden. Makes 14 patties.
Serving size: 2 patties
Pair these patties with a side salad, fresh fruit, and a tall glass of milk for a delicious, balanced meal. They store and travel well, so take them in your lunch!