- 1 (18-oz) box yellow cake mix
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp red food coloring
- 1 (8-oz) package softened cream cheese
- 1 stick (½ cup) softened butter
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sprinkles or tiny heart-shaped candies
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Fill 2 (12-cup) cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. Prepare cake mix according to directions, adding cocoa powder, eggs, oil, and water specified in recipe. Add food coloring. Spoon into liners. Bake for 20 minutes or until done. Remove cupcakes from pan; let cool on a wire rack. Remove cupcakes from liners.
3. Meanwhile, make frosting: In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth. Add vanilla extract.
4. Slice cupcakes in half horizontally so they look like mini layer cakes. Frost between layers, then frost tops. Leave sides unfrosted. Top with sprinkles or candies.