- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 15-ounce can lentils, rinsed, or 2 cups cooked lentils (see Tip)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 2-pound roasted chicken, skin discarded, meat removed from bones and diced (4 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1. Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add curry powder and cook, stirring, until combined with the onion and intensely aromatic, 20 to 30 seconds. Stir in lentils, tomatoes, chicken and salt and cook, stirring often, until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in yogurt. Serve immediately.
Tip: To cook lentils: Place in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until just tender, about 20 minutes for green lentils and 30 minutes for brown. Drain and rinse under cold water.