- ¾ cup canned Alaskan salmon
- 3 tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon red onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- Pinch of dill, fresh or dried
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 lettuce leaves
- 3 pieces small whole wheat pita bread
1. Mix first 8 ingredients together in a small bowl to make a salmon salad.
2. Place 1 lettuce leaf and 1/3 cup salmon salad inside each pita.
Serving size: 1 pita sandwich
This salad is packed with heart healthy omega-3 oils. Serve with plain fat free yogurt and lemon wedges as a healthy substitute for tartar sauce. If desired, substitute pita with whole grain bread or crackers.