- QUINOA & CARROT SLAW:
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups grated carrots (about 3 large)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- SESAME-HONEY CHICKEN:
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 scallions, sliced
1. To prepare quinoa: Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook until the water is absorbed, 10 to 14 minutes. Uncover and let stand.
2. To prepare carrot slaw: Meanwhile, combine carrots, rice vinegar, sesame seeds, and 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine sesame oil, honey, soy sauce, 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Pour into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sauce has thickened. Add chicken and stir until coated with sauce, about 1 minute.
4. Divide the quinoa among 4 bowls and top each with 1/2 cup carrot slaw and 3/4 cup chicken mixture. Sprinkle with scallions.
Toss chicken with a honey-sesame sauce and serve it over quinoa and shredded carrots for a satisfying meal. Serve with sesame breadsticks, green salad and a cold glass of milk.